Friday 29 March 2013

Art School Admin soon be out for summer

So how's it been working at the Art School? Well the greatest part of it is when I say something vaguely interesting or amusing other people there get it rather than looking at me like "hmm what... " which is what I used to get.

Everyone is interesting, intelligent or well-dressed or sometimes all three.

In the recent snow a former colleague mentioned tractor tests on facebook and I got quite nostalgic. Truly a sign that the healing of leaving that career is truly coming.

I found I hit a wall about 6 months in of not feeling like I knew the job well enough and yet before that I knew I was grasping things little by little better each time. I now realise that wall hits just before it all becomes clear and I'm running the desk like a dj or a slick bartender. I am very quick at being a slick bartender, and I love doing that. So now I'm in the flow of it and learning new parts and more about the business is just oil to the wheels. I could go on doing this and learning more and  taking on more and working here for ever, but in a few months it won't be mine anymore. So part of me is planning my demise, working in future proofing so that communication will continue amongst staff and new tweaks will be shared with the postholder seemlessly, diaries and plans for the new academic year are being set up and everything set up ready for the return of the queen.

I realise I don't just learn the role, I learn the people, the dynamics, the names and faces and the structure and that's a lot more than just the tasks. So I have now harnessed this and one wonders too what end?

Like all the temping and volunteering one must capitalise on this. This involves skills I'm not sure I have learnt can even name or describe.

My career thus far has taught me professionalism easy rapport with people, ability to be playful and serious at the right times, to respect everyone even those by instinct I wouldn't as I have learnt everyone has value even it is really well hidden.

So I look forward for direction and a new job.

No comments:

Post a Comment