Tuesday 22 November 2011

It's good to mingle

Christmas Party season is almost upon us and I realise no office party for me. Not that I love them that much they were always an expense I felt I could do without, lunches out with the whole office were nicer but seated you didn't get to mingle. Once actually at a party of course I enjoyed it.

Art show openings are like parties, you have a glass in your hand, they are less often free than they used to be, you may no non-one as was the case for me about a year ago, or it is a chance to catch up with acquiantances or friendly faces in the art world if you have been in the area of work for a while. Inevitably there are people who are old hands and just end up taking to one or two people they know well.
I am a natural mingler, I smile at everyone, start a conversation casually about anything and generally spot when  someone looks intimidated or glazes over quickly enough to back out of the conversation. Sometimes they are tricky to back out of when the other looks glazed, but "I've monopolised you" is quite useful.

Of course lots of people don't look at the art, but I tend to talk about it, also I always talk to the children which usually belong to an artist and are either naturally quiet types or have been given strict instructions to behave. I love asking kids about which work they like and I recall being at the American Art in the 20th Century exhibition at the Royal Academy in 1995ish, staring at this red painting which was all angles and a big gold number 5, I couldn't get it at all until some kid said "Mum, I love that fire engine"
When do we teach people to not believe what they see, often it is a good idea to look at art like a wide eyed child.

Last week went to an invited view of the Arcade Art latest show, free wine and meet the artist so big points there. It is a small and well lit space, see previous blogs for photos, so you can see everyone and everyone can see you. I saw a few friendly faces, met a few people and found I struggled to converse with a Hungarian whose English was perfect so no get out there. It was small and friendly and I left before I made an arse of myself.

On Sunday I went to St David's Hall christmas exhibition, this was invited via facebook and the artwork sprawls over many levels. I bought a glass of mulled wine and bumped into a WI sister who buys art, we had a chat about that and I took a long time to look at the diverse range of works. Lots of people talking of buying and I spotted that the artist whose painting I will be helping to auction had sold a work, that was encouraging.

Saw lots of people who remembered me and lots who did not, always good not to push yourelf onto these people, I held back.

Yesterday I had a day out with my husband and the opportunity to share these exhibitions with him. Found out we don't differ in our taste too much, which is interesting as in terms of decorating over teh last 15years we are at a black and white stalemate.

So tomorrow I will be performing in an artist's work, not a decision I made as a career move and only time will tell if it is positive negative or neutral, but I'll let you know.

Also today is the closing date of that job I really want, application in a week ago and paranoid me sent a copy today attached more clearly. If I'm going to lose the option of an interview it will need to be for a better reason than that.

My temp job will be coming to an end shortly and lots of things in the pipeline are being pushed back, I will need to plan in things otherwise procrastination and spending may fill the gap and I will not want that to happen.

Note to self do not go to art shows with ability to pay for anything again until all your redundnacy has gone.

The lovely Tiff Oben will be having her curatorial on 4th December, I have guests for the weekend but I hope to make it.



Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment