Tuesday 1 November 2011

Career Choices?

Sometimes it seems that you don't have any doesn't it? But really you can say no and you can say yes and you can vote with your feet and move your butt or you can stay home and moan or get your life so full up with hobbies and jobs you hate and tea time tv or you get no help with childcare or elderly relatives and you don't ask for any and then you have no time and no money and no opportunity. So even if you are only spending 5% of time on your career or your dreams that's fine just don't spend no time on it. How you use your time and money to some extent is always your choice.

To that end I again took up the opportunity to go see a studio curatorial.  _(See XSC, one of the few blogs I follow, actually the reason I found this site and am therefore blogging now) _

This was only my second as there was a break whilst many artists spent time at the Venice Biennale Collatoral (like fringe)  events, often in little bars it seems, I really must go one year!

So we got to see Lee Campbell's work at his studio, although he does a lot of work at home and on computer.  http://www.leecampbell.org/

What is a curatorial? Well I'm not sure if its an art school term but I know they do something similar where fellow artists get to peer review works. Lee was used to very formal ones but this is far more relaxed and we get to ask  awkward questions and challenge our own thinking in our response to the art the artist shows us. We talk about his practice and often we get a how did you decide to do this and what is it that motivates you. We have some curators and I get to be an art history graduate hanger on.

We viewed "I am Cardiff" and other similar works in poster form, a board game of squares of white text on black. You could play it but you are asked to view it and you could choose to play it mentally with no counter and no opponent or you could get people to join in. I am Cardiff in particular engaged me as it had statements that resulted in a positive move and some that resulted in a negative move, as the subject is close to my heart I felt I wished to challenge the scoring.

Lee often likes to involve  the public in his work, or a public, but has stretched to actual collaboration despite being, he finally admitted, a bit of a control freak. He also likes using the internet to meet people randomnly and ask them to make art. We discussed other artists who do this and explored the relationships and how "vampireish" it is to use the public, compared this to asking other artists and how much background knowledge of an artist could effect the outcome of the work. This is only a small selection of the matters discussed but it is so valuable and fascinating and very much like the friendliest seminar group you can imagine.

Today also met with one of the arts festival organisers and we tasked me with a few things. I will now learn more about available grants and fundraising, I have gathered some links and starting points mid year so now is the time to use this motivation to capitalise on this.

Just what I needed as I was getting in a slump

No comments:

Post a Comment