Sunday 16 October 2011

Eye of the Festival Storm

Final day of the festival, taking a few hours to cook and eat and sit down. As is normal in events that involve lots of people ther have been some mis-communications and little glitches to roll with but overall the weather has held out and the atmosphere as felt by me and remarked on by loads was amazing. Even after the rugby loss.

I was meant to be running The Big Draw with an artist, however she turned up today instead. So yesterday I had two lovely intelligent polite teenagers for an hour and then on my own for four with a steady stream of grown ups and children, from 5 months to 84. Altogether about 140 people and with very little creative talent I managed to do origami, paper people chains and well and truly imbedded the trend of banana writing.

Get a not too ripe banana and a biro and write on the skin. Many people reacted to the media by commenting on the nutritional value of bananas. Still more got the grief at the rugby result out of themselves by drawing and writing about it, there I'm an art therapist!

Then I got lots of offers of more volunteering, got an offer from the scout leaders to do art nights with the scouts and to work on International Women in the Arts Month, both next year.

Then I got bleach on my top and bought a t shirt in the clothes shop and changed in front of everyone, tehn grabbed some food and rushed to The Gate just in time to realise I left my jacket. Met our lovely VIP and tended the bar with another volunteer, Mark, who also helped photograph the event.

We then went to Diana street to see the artist Dawn Woolley's Cut to The Measure of Desire. This was a 30 minute static performance and frankly it looked beautiful and painful.

I am getting refocused on getting a paid job and still definately sure arts admin is the right way forward

Off out to Roathbud the brilliantly named film festival and then the closing party tonight.

Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment