Thursday 20 October 2011

Irons in fires

Sorry not been here for a day, been having a good think.

Leaving a structured career of 15 years however you may have sought development and opportunities and pushed your comfortable limits, well it is a bit different out here.

I always felt uni was like a halfway house to living but actually I feel another level of exposure. I have felt scared when nothing was happenning but this week a different kind of scared because things are.

Well maybe not that but I'm getting offers of voluntary and partly paid employment, no idea what rates but not imagining much, and it seems hard to know what woudl be good or bad. In the structured environment I often created opportunities by saying I'd love to do that and this is true out here too, but I don't know what these things are really like. I do plan to be open minded and experience it and I know I've worked for a lot of days without a real break, like a weekend, so maybe my gut instinct is just a bit tired.

I also have to let go of trying to aim at a proportion of old salary and just look at the role first, if I want it I should do it and maybe I'll be putting myself into a few years of debt, I'll have to learn to live with that and be hopeful that I will keep earning.

I know its better for me to work than not, and beside never wanting to work for myself I seem to have developed that. So I am available for hanging art work, invigilating exhibitions, administrating events, public speaking, family art workshops, bar work, writing marketing materials, distributing posters and leaflets on foot, meeting and greating, researching, networking, career coaching, telephony, budgeting, book keeping, troubleshooting, filing, origami, PA work, review writing, and cookery etc

I think I may have found a part time job to go for in an Architect's office, do hope that works out. I love architecture and the thought of a steady job makes me feel anchored and less needy. That way I should have more belief when I put myself forward for other things.

So can iron catch fire? It seems that sometimes they may glow and I do love to stoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment